Following the tremendous success of the Harry Potter franchise worldwide and in China, Warner Bros. is bringing to life a new story set in the wizarding world. The first of five movies, “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” launched in China, and Warner Bros. wanted to capitalise on China’s huge Harry Potter fan base to drive box office sales and build excitement for the new franchise.
Creating and amplifying an immersive experience
An exhibition space was built at the popular Beijing mall to engage fans and drive awareness. We organised red carpet events where media and fans were able to engage directly with the film’s director and stars.
Our strategy was centered on:
- Immersing our audiences in the world of "Fantastic Beasts" by bringing its characters to life
- Amplifying the event with a digital platform promoting social media sharing
- Convincing existing Harry Potter fans and new audiences to come see the movie and purchase merchandise
Bringing magic to life
We transformed the mall into the magical world of Fantastic Beasts:
- An event venue in the theme of the Magical Congress of United States of America (MACUSA)
- Giant sculptures of popular beasts and props featured in the movie (like the thunderbird and the suitcase)
- 3-D paintings, set and prop displays, interactive AR activations, original movie artwork displays, photo backdrops, and more
The creation of a phenomenon
We also produced an HTML5 scavenger hunt. Hosted on WeChat, the game encouraged visitors to scan QR codes at each location to collect digital badges and unlock awesome rewards, such as movie ticket discounts, "Fantastic Beasts" merchandise, and even a chance to win a trip for two to the Harry Potter World in London!
Finally, we perfectly executed our two red carpet events, serving our VIPs flawlessly and satisfying hundreds of fans and media.